Thursday, February 16, 2012

What Should I Pack?

3 days, 16 hours until our flight departs from JFK! If you're more ahead of the game than I am, you're probably already packing. Make sure you have:

- Your passport
- A belt or neck pouch that fits under your clothing for your passport and money
- A small amount of cash for souvenirs and snacks (we will exchange money in the airport)
- clothes (keep in mind that it's been in the 70s and 80s in the DR this week):
- a couple of sets of clothing for painting or getting very messy
- casual clothes for evenings after we are done working
- one outfit suitable for church
- a swim suit
- a sweatshirt/hoodie and one pair of jeans or pants in case it gets chilly
- sturdy shoes that can get dirty
- sandals, shoes for walking around the city
- work gloves (I have some extra pairs, so if you need them, let me know)
- whatever hygiene products you need
- a towel for the beach
- sunscreen

Things you might want to bring:
- a camera
- an mp3 player and headphones
- bed net - our hosts say we do not need them, so it is entirely up to you.

I do not recommend that you bring a cell phone. You will not be able to have them with you while we are working or doing group activities, as being on a phone makes it impossible for you to be truly present with us, and international calling/texting is expensive. I have an international phone plan and any emergency phone calls can come through me. However, I leave this up to the parents' discretion.

I've probably forgotten something, so feel free to add other items in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment