Friday, February 24, 2012

The Trip As Elena Sees It.

Life is undefinable. It's a steady foundation, acquiring new ideas, new stories, and new experiences each and every day. This mission trip has proved to reflect this definition in every way possible. Throughout the course of the week, I've learned not only about the culture of the people of Santo Domingo, but the culture of the very people I thought I had already knew. Today was our last day of work. We finished our desks, fixed up the screens along the windows of the living facility, and shelved the books that we had so tediously organized earlier this week. Surprisingly, the hardest work proved to be tolerating our roommates, whether it be our loud, if not spastic reactions to a cockroach in your room each night-there were about 6- the cabin fever we are all about succumb to. Or the petty little things that would be overlooked if we were any place else. Personally, i've had one of the best experiences of my life, and whether it shows or not, I feel we all have something good to take out of this trip. As a youth in the First Reformed Church, I feel obligated to do good for others, and to spread the word of god in a way that isn't so blatantly obvious, but in a way that makes others reflect on it in later years. As we reach the end of the week, I feel the effort I have put forth begin to set in, and I am reminded of the reason I was put on this earth. To do justly, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with our god. Each and every one of us on this trip had a purpose to serve, and we all continue to fulfill it. My intentions were to feel god through every aspect of my time here, and even though at times I felt hopeless and a tad homesick, I've made lifelong friends and confidantes in the most unlikely people, the trip brought a series of events that lead me places i'd never thought i'd venture to, and gave me a new perspective on life itself. I have learned to do everything with someone else in mind, and I believe that is what was to be taken out of this trip in the first place, and I couldn't ask for anything more inspiring and emotionally uplifting than this journey.
I am grateful
I am passionate
I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment